If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Friday, October 20, 2006

Chilly October

The winter winds have hit early this year! We've had lows in the 20's several nights and highs only in the 40's. There have been a few days of 60's and even a few 70's mixed in,but it seems that winter wants to make an early appearence this year. There were even a FEW small flakes in the air the other morning - nothing major, but we did have a few.

I have been trying to clean up and winterize things around the place. I managed to put in a buried electric line to the barn a few days ago. I dug the trench with a ripper and cleaned it out with my plow. Now I don't have to worry about driving over an extension cord anymore. It is only 100' long, but took 2 days to do.

I also managed to come up with more tin and lumber for free! The neighbors around are helpful with materials they don't want. It helps us both out - they want the stuff gone, and I need it to use! I've lived by this town for a good part of my life and have a lot of wonderful neighbors who remember me from my younger days.

This particular find was a shed that had fallen over and the roof peak was about 5' off the ground. We went over and pulled tin off and will go back for the lumber in a few days. I was telling my neighbor that this was the kind of building I like to tear down - it's close to home, close to the ground (no ladders!), comes apart easy, and has lots of usable materials. I counted 45 12' pieces of tin and 40 good 10' 2x6's. I am only able to work on it for 2-3 hours a day before the back, knees, and hips start in, but it is going pretty easy, so it SHOULDN'T take long, especially with help.

No comments:

Post a Comment