If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Monday, December 24, 2007

Mincemeat Pie...

As my wife grew up, her mom would occasionally make "Green Tomato" mincemeat. While this is ok, I grew up with the real thing - mincemeat that has MEAT in it! Since I am the only one who likes the good stuff, I don't get it very often. My wife's lone attempt at making some was 15 years ago and was....um......less then a success.
This year I decided that I would make a mincemeat pie for ME!

Yesterday, I started with some of the ground dead deer we have from this Fall. I mixed all the ingredients up in the morning, simmered it all day, and then baked 2 pies in the evening. My wife did help with the crust, though.
This morning I took one pie to a neighbor's house and then came home to cut into mine.
It was better then I had hoped it would be! It's been a long time since I had had a Mincemeat pie of ANY sort - this was the first time I had made one from scratch, and the first one made with deer. The good thing is, I still have enough filling to make 3 more pies.
Since nobody else likes it -

MORE FOR ME!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL Well had I started from scratch like you did, MY famous pie from years ago, would have been better!! However since I had no idea what real mincemeat was like, I goofed...sorry Dear, but you did live, and that way I didn't have to mess with that nasty stuff again!! *giggle*

    Now if I could just get enough green tomatoes together so I could make ME some of the good stuff!!

    ReplyDelete