If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Saturday, August 9, 2008

Twins?

I have been watching these chickens for awhile now.
Originally, I bought - what I THOUGHT was - all Plymouth Barred Rock (PBR) pullets.

Then this guy started to show his 'true colors'.



He is 3 1/2 weeks older then the birds in the last herd I got from the store, but the same size. I couldn't believe that his comb was full and bright red when he was the size of a Bobwhite Quail. He's since filled out better, but is still being overtaken (size-wise) by birds much younger.

I don't know what breed he is, but would like to find out. His feathers are a LOT lighter then the PBR pullets (don't have a PBR Rooster....). And he will be smaller then the hens.

Here is a photo of the PBR Pullet that is almost a month behind him in age:



The PBR pullet is much darker. Here is a "side-by-side" comparison:



He's a good looking little guy, I just wish he were bigger.

Right now, I have him in with my Cornish-x broilers (he's doing fine...) because I don't want to take the chance on him being lunch for something if I free range him.
Sooner or later, though, he'll get turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment