If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Monday, December 1, 2008

Pretty Maids, All in a Row....

Well - all except for one.....



The all white one in the back is a boy....

We arrived back home safely on Saturday evening. We left last Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving at my brother's house in Great Bend, Kansas. It's a (nearly) 300 mile trip one-way, so the drive is NOT fun.

We had a friend check in on things and take care of our livestock while we were gone.
I had things set up so all he had to do was open/close the chicken house and make sure the goats didn't run out of hay.

I figured that the goats could live without grain for 3-4 days.....

I REALLY got an earful on Sunday morning when I gave them breakfast!

I had almost all of them lined up against the rail in the barn, yelling at me, and telling me that the guy I hired to feed them tried to starve them (they didn't know it was MY fault they didn't get grain...).

At any rate, they practically mugged me when I brought it to them! I separate the "little guys" and the Kinder Goats out from the others so they get their share. The picture above is all of the youngin's lined up "peacefully, eating from a trough in the barn. The adults don't like this arrangement because they have to wait for their breakfast.

I gave them a little extra on Sunday but today it was back to normal.

I think they're disappointed that the extra only lasted one day...

It was a long week - and a short week - depending on how you look at it. It was long, due to travelling, but short on just about everything else.

On our way down to Kansas, we passed by a LARGE house just east of Hebron, Nebraska. My Mom and I stopped by there nearly 20 years ago. It is large enough to see from several miles away. Deb and I decided to stop by and take a few photos. Here are a couple. I don't know the story behind this structure, but it HAS to be interesting.



I went into the field next door to take one of the back side of the house.



It is a really huge mansion - three story with a basement. I don't know how old it is but, I'd guess it was started in the 1880's or so.

2 comments:

  1. And, it's sitting there empty. Oh, to be able to afford to fix up a beautiful old house like that. sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "Prettty Maids" and one little billie look real good all lined up there.

    That is a really big old house. Would be interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete