If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Friday, January 30, 2009

Gettin' A Grip, Part II...

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to make a new set of hand grips for my 1911 .45.
I used a Central/South American wood called "Ziricote". It's a dark wood that has swirls in it.

This week , I decided to make a couple more sets. I pulled out some Bloodwood and Lacewood for these.

Here is a look at the Bloodwood ones. The wood is aptly named - it has a nice, natural deep red color. The tree is also native to Brazil in South America. The photo is not the best but, you can see the rich red color the wood has.



Here are the ones I made from Lacewood. This woods comes from Australia, and has large amounts of "rays" in the grain. It is a very beautiful wood.



Hopefully, I can make a couple more from different woods that I have, so I can see which ones look the best. So far, I like the lacewood ones the best, then the Bloodwood next.

No comments:

Post a Comment