If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Thursday, September 10, 2009

Applesauce And Road Apples...

It's been a semi-busy week around the goat ranch......

I've been trying to hurry and finish a new pen for the goats. Come Sunday, it HAS to be done - we're getting a cow. Actually a young heifer Hereford/Charolais cross. I guess the goats will have to wait for this pen, or get used to a cow....

I'm making good progress, I only have a few more little things to do. It's only taken a month, but I'm getting near the end. Last night, I FINALLY finished up (well...90%, anyway) a new double gate into this pen. It still has a few "tweaks", but is usable, at least.

New Gate...Almost Done

Last Sunday, I brought home a few apples for the goats. Not a whole LOT, mind you, just enough to whet the appetite of the goats who remembered them from last year, and to get the newer goats addicted.

I also found someone to scrounge some Horseradish from, who was willing to give me some to plant. Monday afternoon, I went to pick it up. On the way, I spotted an apple tree that had quite a few apples on it, so I stopped to find out about picking them.

During the course of finding out who OWNED the tree, I found ANOTHER one. To shorten an incredibly long story with twists and sidebars at every turn - I managed to get permission to pick BOTH trees.

Deb was happy that we had some apples to pick, but neither of us was looking forward to "doing them up". I guess it's the price you pay for having them.....

So, Tuesday morning, we head on over and pick the trees. I even managed to pick up a bunch for the goats.

They aren't gonna like it when the apples are gone....I can hear the belly achin' already....

WHERE'S MY APPLES....?
Grass is always greener...

So, it's been pretty busy around here, working on fence, gates, and "outside" things, while trying to peel, slice, and cut apples (Thank GOD for those handy crank operated apple peelers...). We've got several quarts of sliced apples and applesauce waiting in the pantry.

We've been managing quite well, though - we still find time to watch a little TV (actually DVD) in the evenings. We're working our way through Season 2 of Walker, Texas Ranger, right now.

While we were eating supper Wednesday night, we were watching a particular episode where, during the course of action, good old C.D. Parker tells Walker that "Those guys don't know applesauce from road apples"!

Now this is all well and good - C.D. is a veritable well of Texas wit - and is always telling the younger Rangers all kinds of barbs and cliches.

This one really hit home, though - and came at an appropriate time.

Considering what we had been working on - with all the apples - I asked Deb about what C.D. just said. She admitted that it was funny, but that she wasn't sure what a "road apple" was......

I'm just telling you this so that you'd know......

If you ever come over to our place, you might want to think about it - before you eat the applesauce.....

1 comment:

  1. I think YOU will be eating "road apples" for the next month at least for making fun of me about this!

    Yep I'm going to make all the things you don't like for supper for a while...and since there aren't that many of them I'm sure you know just WHAT we will be having....day in and day out! Thankfully I don't mind it...and it DOES need used up *giggle*

    ReplyDelete