If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Friday, May 28, 2010

Tired Goats...

It's been in the upper 80's here for the past week or so, the kind of days that make a dog fall asleep. Even the goats try to "work" when it's cool out, then take a siesta about mid day.

Of course, when you're a kid, you take a nap whenever the "feeling" comes upon you.

This morning at 6:30 or so, I looked out to see the two moms and their four charges, out in the driveway. Albeit, they were heading in toward the barn at the time. I figured they'd be up and causing trouble until it got too warm to play.

When I went out to feed them at around 7:30, one mom was up eating, the other mom was laying in an odd "dead" looking position in a gate way, and the four little monsters were nowhere in sight.

I was about 10 feet from the barn door when the grazing mom saw me, let out a yell, and headed toward the can of food in my hand. This, in turn, made one of her daughters jump up from the tire she had been dozing in. Deeming it wasn't an emergency - and apparently not being hungry - the little girl settled back down to nap in the morning sunshine. This time she lay on the outside of the tire.

At this point, I decided that the better part of valor would be to forgo feeding, and return to the house to get my camera.

I hoped that everyone would stay where they were until I got back.

My first picture when I returned was this one, with the little girl still fighting sleep, leaning up against the tire feeder she hopped out of.

Lounging In The Morning Sun

I noticed a spot of white "fluff" behind her, in the tire, so figured I had better get a closer view.

Sneaky

It was a pretty precarious moment. I prayed that I could get a couple half-way decent photos before everyone was disturbed enough to scatter. I crept closer and closer, until I could hold the camera out and snap another one:

"Tired" kids

Normally, this tire is sitting the other side up, and is used as a feeder in the winter. For most of the rest of the year, it becomes a "play toy"

Or a bed....

It would have been nice to get a photo of all four of them in there, but you can see where she WAS lying. It must have been a tight squeeze to get everyone in there, but kids are good at "weaving" themselves into tight places. Maybe this girl figured it was time for a stretch.

At any rate, the shadow approaching from the east in the bottom photo is one of moms coming to roust everyone.

She just HAD to spoil the fun...

4 comments:

  1. They do love places like that to sleep in about as good as playing on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a life! Very sweet.
    Thanks Scrounger for sharing the joy!

    Blessings,
    ~Simply Blessed~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrounger, that is a great picture!!! I think I'd like a tire like that right after lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shots. Nothing like baby goats to make you smile!

    ReplyDelete