If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Friday, December 31, 2010

Now, If I Just Had A Horse...

....And the hay to feed it.

I suppose a mule would work, or even a - God forbid - Donkey (if I HAD to). Whatever it would be, it would just be nice to be broke to harness. It would also be nice if it was a NON picky eater, and ate like a bird.

At any rate, I've seen a few horse drawn implements hanging about lately, so figured I'd drag some of them home.

Today, since it was in the 50's, was a good day to start. I met a friend of mine over at an old farmstead a few miles from here, and he helped load some "odds and ends". The first thing that caught my eye was an old buggy running gear.

Buggy Gear

This is actually just the front half of it - the rear half is still at the other farmstead. The main reason for this is a certain tree that reached out and grabbed the axle. It has pulled it off the ground about 2 feet, but the tree itself is only about 5" across. It will be easy to get it out, we just didn't have a saw.

The next thing I drug home is a horse drawn Cultivator. It's the kind where the "operator" rides by standing with their feet in "stirrups on the rear of the machine. It takes a bit of practice, but once you master it, you have it for life.

Horse Drawn Cultivator

It's missing a couple of handles and a couple of "shoes" but isn't that far from being usable. It's amazing how these things from that long ago hold up through time.

It's also amazing how small these items are.

I still have to get a few more things - like an old Lister (Planter) that is horse drawn, and a couple of other things. There is also a lot of just "scrap" laying around all over the place. The lady who owns it is just glad that someone wants to clean it up for her.

I just can't wait until I get my Mule (or horse, or cow, or goats, or...), hitch it up to the buggy, and ride into town.

I'll make sure to put a nice "Hillbilly" hat on WHATEVER is pulling the thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment