If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I Had Lots of Help Today...

For the past 3-4 weeks, I have been planning on moving the water tank I have behind the barn for the goats. I wanted to move it closer to the barn so I could get runoff from any rains into the tank. The only thing stopping me was a little bit of dirt work involved in getting the new spot ready.

I drained the tank last Friday so it would have time to dry out for tractor work. This morning, I drove the tractor up to the gate beside the barn, and ATTEMPTED to open it. The furry white and brown villains had other ideas. I KNEW they would see the open gate and come running for it, so I baited them with some bread thrown over the fence into an adjoining pasture.

All but ONE fell for my ruse. I decided she wanted to be chased into the other pasture, so I opened the gate so I could walk through. As I turned to close it behind me, I saw her make a Bee line for it.

Unfortunately, my shirt got hung up on the gate and she made it out.

The spot she was now in isn't very big - maybe 40' wide and 80' long. She would watch me closely as I came closer. She wanted to enjoy some of the really nice grass in this area, so didn't feel like going back into the barn yard just yet. Every time I would get close, she would just side step and keep eating. I finally had to lunge at her and grab her hind leg. I had both of her back legs in my hands and she was still munching away. It would have been a good photo. Her happily eating, and me pushing my goat wheel barrel back to the barn yard......

I got the tank moved and then piled rocks around it so the goats could reach the water easier (still need more rocks....). These were loaded into the front end loader on my tractor, and dumped near the tank. As you can see, I had help from SOME of the local work force:



This is Annie taking the obligatory close-up -



Then we have the "Union Labor" crew. Shown here on break.



Sometimes, it's REALLY hard to find good help....

I decided that it was time to kick all the young birds outside into the new "run". All 32 of them got shoved through the door, except one. He saw me coming and dove for the hole. Then this evening, all 32 had to be shoved back in.....
Probably have to retrain them tomorrow....

I cleaned up inside while everyone was gone. Afterwards, I swept the floor down with some DE. I had the front door to the brooder house open while I was doing this. Sometimes, chickens are worse then goats - they see an open door and ZOOM.
Can you spot the one who doesn't belong in this photo?



She made it into the house, over a 2' fence, through a chicken door, and into the run in record time. She wasn't allowed to stay long, though....

The biggest help I had today, though, was my wonderful wife. She knows how bad the push mower bothers my back, so she mowed the yard today. Thanks, Deb! I love you.....

1 comment:

  1. I love you to, hate mowing, but for YOU I will. :)

    ReplyDelete