If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Saturday, March 1, 2008

Signs of Spring.....

The first sign I noticed that spring is, at least, on the way, is the temperature today. It's a wonderful 70° here in SE Nebraska! There are just a few "die hard" areas of ice/snow left in the really shaded area. It is now what we AFFECTIONATELY call "Mud Season".

Mud Season is that time of year that isn't winter, but isn't spring. It's sort of in between them. It's that time of year when the ground begins to thaw and the mud stays slick, even if there is no rain or snow to make it that way. Usually, the top 3-4 inches of the ground thaw, while the soil under that is still in frost. When you walk or drive over it, the 3-4 inches slide on the frozen soil underneath. It can result in some harrowing events. It will be like this for a couple three weeks.

We've also been hearing and seeing flocks of geese flying over on their way back north. I THINK I saw a robin a couple days ago, but I'm not sure. When I hear the first Western Meadowlark, I know for SURE spring is close! It's our state bird here (as well as a few other states), and it's always nice to have them back after a cold winter.

Today, my wife noticed that our Weeping Willow tree is started to green up. It is usually the first to add leaves in the spring, so it is a good sign. It would be nice if this year we don't have a late frost that kills all of the fruit tree blossoms. It wasn't fun, not having any fruit last year.

The bad thing about spring is - it's fence building season - and I have lots of fence to build.

No comments:

Post a Comment