If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Sunday, March 8, 2009

Auction Season...

Here it is, March already! Spring is (calender wise) only two weeks away. It's the perfect time for auctions to start up. There have been several local ones in the past 2-3 weeks, but I waited until this past Saturday (7 March) to go to my first one of the year.

Mainly because I didn't have any money to spend.....LOL!

Last year was the first time I had made it to this particular Consignment auction. It's held every year the first weekend in March. Due to the economy, a lot of the prices were down. Not a lot of people have money they are willing to spend on auction items.

I didn't spend a lot of money - I only bought two items.

One of them is a 50' long, 6" grain auger that is PTO driven. I have wanted one for awhile to make it easier to load feed into my grain bins.



It's a little tall and a little long, so I will need to shorten it. I figure that, for the $10 I spend on it, I have a little room to modify it.

I will probably shorten it closer to the top (discharge) end, and probably shorten the support arms for the carriage that raises and lowers the auger. I'll need to shorten above the carriage due to balance issues.

It will be nice to have it run by the PTO - and not have to deal with the heavy electric motor on the discharge end.

Hopefully, it won't take very long to modify.

I never expected to see it go for that low of price - the guy who sold it probably didn't, either. There were actually TWO that went for $10, and one for $20, but I figured I better stop when I did.

I could go nuts at farm auctions -- IF I had the money.....

It's probably a GOOD thing I don't.....

No comments:

Post a Comment