If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Big Hog Fan...

Sometime during the last week, God decided to turn up the furnace (and the humidifier...) in these parts.
Livestock are dropping from the heat all over the region.

It's one of those times that you're glad someone invented air conditioning....

The worst part is - while it's been hot and muggy - there also has been little breeze to help with SOME relief. Also, the low temperatures at night have only been getting down to the high to mid 70's.

While that's better then 98°, it still is hot - at least in my book!

The other day Thursday, I think, we went to the Big City to do some shopping and other things. Naturally, it was HOT and nasty out. We left right after chores in the morning, and were gone until after 5:00 pm. It was a long day in the heat.

We unloaded the car, ate supper, took care of the animals and were both glad it was time for bed.

Even with the air conditioning on, we usually run an oscillating fan in the bedroom for air movement.

That night was no different. It was still after 10:00 when we finally made it to bed.

As we were laying there, talking, we heard.....


PIGS!

It started out soft and squeaky ...."oink, oink, oink, oink....", then a few seconds pause, and "oink, oink, oink, oink...."

The sound grew louder and less high pitched as it went along....

Fearing for our lives - thinking it was a scene from one of those Alfred Hitchcock movies - I lifted my head out of my pillow to see what was truly going on.

At once, my fears of being eaten alive by a rabid porker were assuaged.

I laid my head back down and asked my lovely wife:

"Why does the fan sound like a pig?"

She listened until it made it's "oink" sounds again, then burst out in laughter.

Even as tired as we were, this was enough to keep us "in stitches" for quite awhile. Now, instead of attack by roving killer swine, we feared not being able to go to sleep from laughing every time the fan made it's piggy plea.

This went on for a good 20 minutes, then, as suddenly as it started, the sound mysteriously STOPPED.

I am happy to report that we were able to get some sleep (after laughing a bit more about it....) without being assaulted by noisy hogs. The fan hasn't made the sound since, so we MIGHT be safe now.

I don't know what caused the fan to oink, either, I took it apart not long ago and cleaned it all up, so dirt SHOULDN'T have been a problem. Maybe it was some sort of subliminal messaging by the Pork Producers, channeling through people's fans in a heat wave.

That might be a good idea - the worse the heat, the more fans in use.....hmmmmmm...

What ever caused the fan to be possessed by pigs might never be known, I'm just glad the porkers have decided to leave.

Hopefully, they won't return....

No comments:

Post a Comment