If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Saturday, December 13, 2008

CHIPS!

I posted last night that I had gotten some free turnips. I don't really like them cooked like mashed potatoes, so that method it out!

I've had them sliced and fried, which is good but, my favorite is raw.

Since I have more then I could possibly eat before they go bad, I decided to dehydrate some into "turnip chips".

This first batch, I just sliced and put into the dehydrator. I plan to try something a little different next time (hey - I have enough to experiment...). I think I will soak them for a few hours in a salt brine before drying.

These today are just peeled, sliced into 1/8" slices, then dried to an almost crisp texture. They will start to bend, but break apart fairly easily. I cut the round slices in half so they would dry better.



They were drying for about 4 1/2 hours. I tried one just as soon as it cooled down. It tasted just like chicken....er...a fresh turnip!

When the slices were first put into the dehydrator, and start to "cook", they are VERY aromatic! You will smell them all over the house for about 1 1/2 hours until they loose their initial moisture.

Deb doesn't like turnips, so I get them all! She'll just have to endure the smell while they are drying........

No comments:

Post a Comment