If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Voice From the Past....

I was sitting here, in front of my computer, this evening, when the phone rang. The number showed a cell phone from western Nebraska. I didn't recognise the number, and figured it was a telemarketer or someone of that ilk...

So, with trepidation and expectations of a 10 second long call (before I hang up on them), I answered the phone.

The voice on the other end sounded VAGUELY familiar, but I couldn't put a name to him. After a few seconds, he tells me who he is.

It turns out that it was my sister's ex-husband. He was driving down Interstate 80, and wanted to know if I had my mother's recipe for Beef jerky. I have it SOMEWHERE, but I'd have to dig.

We talked about what he was doing, what we were doing, cattle, dogs, goats, and trucking.

All in all, we were on the phone for about 20-25 minutes.

He said he might even stop by if he's in the neighborhood. I haven't seen him for about 9 or 10 years.

Maybe one of these days we can get together for a cup of coffee.

The crazy cat (Tractor Buddy) was in a wild mood today. She was tearing around the barn, taking swipes at me, attacking goats, and acting just plain goofy. I have some 14' long 2x6 boards leaning up against the inside wall of the barn. I watched her scramble up to the top of them, then CAREFULLY and NERVOUSLY try to make it back down the steep slope.

She clambered down, looking like she was terrified, so I held out my arm. She graciously jumped on, so I petted her for a few seconds, then turned her loose on the floor.

Within 10 seconds, she was scrambling up to the top of the same boards. I told her she was on her own getting down this time.

A little while latter, she was playing "Bat the Goat" in one of the stalls.

When I last saw her, she was hanging off of a post, about 10 feet up, with her tail twitching....

1 comment: