If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Wednesday, December 30, 2009

BUSTED!

Don't know why I thought I could get away with it.....Too many "nosey" critters to even HOPE of getting it past them without somebody finding out.

I just didn't figure they'd find out so SOON....

I went into town today, to pick up some dog food, and some food for the cows and goats. What I found was the goat's favorite food was on sale. I couldn't pass it up, I HAD to buy some. Even Deb thought is was a good sale, too. She told me to go back and buy MORE!

Traction was NOT a problem on the way home - I had 700 pounds of animal feed in the bed of the pickup. The hard part, however, would be unloading it, since there was a deep drift in the driveway to the barn.... I got as close as possible and used the "Bale Buggy" from there.

It was a truly amazing sight - I carried the first bag in and put it in the freezer I have for feed storage. There wasn't a goat in sight. They were all tucked in, chewing their cud and snoozing.

When I entered the barn with the second bag, things had changed DRAMATICALLY. It was near-riot pandemonium coming from both the dairy goats and their Boer counterparts. I instantly knew the reason....

The ENTIRE barn smelled like goat food.

The intensity of the smell surprised me, it wasn't just an "I THINK I smell something", it was a full-fledged inundation of smell - the kind that hits you when you enter the house-hold cleaner isle at the grocery store, or the scented candle isle at a....well...a store that sells scented candles....

The secret was out! Even the CATS were excited! Now there was about a 1 in a quad-zillion chance that I'd be allowed to escape without a late lunch for the goats.

They ganged up on the fence to wait:

OHHHH, That Smells GOOD!

The ones not on the gate, made darn well SURE that their voices were heard, too. Everyone was licking their chops at the prospect of fresh food.

Lickin' Her Chops

Yeah - I caved.....

But it was from the bag I had that was already opened....

There's something about pleas from several "starving" goats, that hits all the right buttons for me. It didn't help my willpower any when Sally snuck out of the gate and headed for the stanchion. She stuck her head in the headstall, and proceeded to lick up any "residue" left by Mabel.

Con Ma'am....

I wasn't GOING to give her anything but, I gave in when I saw the dirty look she gave me after being forced to taste "cow spit".....

With all the bags safely put away, I decided to see what the dogs were up to. Yani was gnawing on a bone, but Shadow decided to "herd" a flock of Blackbirds out of the barn yard. It seems that they had "inadvertently" landed on one of "his" trees. He ran after them, giving his "woof, woof" bark to chase them away.

Stupid Birds.....

It wasn't working out too well for him.....Basically, they just laughed and went about their business. Nobody told Shadow that the tree is on the OTHER side of the line fence - and it isn't HIS.

At least none of the goats were carried away by the Birds....

Alfred Hitchcock would have been proud....

No comments:

Post a Comment