If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ring, Ring, Ring...

Awhile back, I was given a couple of high tension springs for an overhead garage door. They were old, STIFF and rusty, so there was no way I could (or would...) use them for their intended purpose.

Today, I needed a couple rings for a project, so I decided to cut one up.

I don't know how many rings I got, but I know it is quite a few. They measure 4 1/4" outside diameter, and are made from 3/8" material.



I thought about earrings for the goats but It probably wouldn't work so good....

I will end up making some gate latches with some but, I'll have PLENTY left over for other projects - as yet unknown....

I'm sure I'll think of SOMETHING.

It was another frosty one this morning - down to 22°F. The water tank had about 1/2" or so, of ice on it. The chickens weren't amused when I told them to peck through the ice on their tank by themselves. I finally caved, and broke it for them.

The things I do for those birds.....

We finally got the last of the corn picked! I left a few rows so I could cut it and feed the stalks and all to the goats. They REALLY like rummaging through them!

The first "work" I did with my new tractor was to use the loader to pick up the several dozen Hedge Apples that fell from the two trees in our back yard. I picked up a good amount on Saturday morning. THEN - the wind comes up on Sunday and down came about 50 more that I didn't even know were in the tree! I'm pretty sure they are all down now, so it will be safe to pick them up.

Two or three years ago, my nephew and I were doing the same thing. We came to the last few and saw an extra large hedge apple laying close to a nearby shed. We were marvelling at it's size when we noticed the dead rabbit underneath. It evidently had hit the bunny right in the head.

I could see it now, Mr Bunny, happily munching away on some clover and WHAM!, right in the head.....

Last week, we almost lost a Rooster to the same misfortune. The hedge apple missed him by about an inch. If he'd been a second later in seeing coming, we'd had a flat chicken!

I wonder if you can get a "Hedge Apple" rider on livestock insurance.....

Here is a photo of a Hedge Apple "cluster" that reminded me of grapes. They sure are thick this year...



I got to run my new toy....er.....tractor, on Monday, too. I used it to empty the spreader onto the corn field. I wish I had about 5 more loads to put on. I guess that the rate the goats put it out, it won't take long....

I've shredded the corn I picked down with the brush hog, now I'll just have to add fertilizer and disc it in.

Here is a parting "Thought For The Day".......

Relax and enjoy a Sunbeam.....

No comments:

Post a Comment