If you run across a post where the photo's aren't showing
please contact me so I can fix the links!


Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Brick-A-Brac, My ACHING Back....

If you haven't figured it out by now, I do a LOT of scrounging....

Everything we have started out life as some THING else, some WHERE else. I've never been one to turn down good stuff, just because it was "used". This has earned me praise from some, disdain from others - especially a few family members.

Oh well, though, I've never been one to try keeping up with Mr. Jones, either. I figure I gotta do all I can to lower property values in my area - people just don't understand the money I'm saving them in taxes.....

To that end, yesterday (Monday), I ran across a construction outfit doing a project nearby. I was interested in a couple of packing crates they had so I could make some shelves.

The next thing I knew, the supervisor was asking me if I needed any brick. He told me they had a "few" left over, and couldn't transport them home with them (to Kansas), so they needed them gone.

Never one to turn down free stuff, I told him I'd take them off his hands. He told me to come back on Wednesday and he'd let me know if they were "gettable". Well - this morning (Tuesday) the phone rings. The man on the other end asks if I still wanted that brick. Yes, says I - "Well, come on over" the voice tells me.

So, I gets in my shiny red (but dirty) Ford pickup, and head that way. When I back up to the stack, I see that there a a BIT more than a "few"...

It took us two loads, and most of the day to bring them all home, but there is a nice pile of new brick out by the chicken house that needs built into a smoker for meat.

Brick-A-Brack

One at a time, they were unloaded, stacked and counted. I was sure glad when it was over, too. My back is NOT happy, and my hips are pretty mad at me.

There ended up being 4 broken ones, and 781 good bricks.

Now I need a good bricklayer who'll work for food...

1 comment:

  1. I can lay brick, I am no expert but I can get the job done. I like to eat too! :-)

    Will work for food!


    hehehe!

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete